Interview: Fennema-Bloom, Director of Graduate TESOL at The University of Findlay
Fennema-Bloom, Director of Graduate TESOL at The University of Findlay, joins us today to discuss Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
1. Can you tell us about the Masters in TESOL (MATESOL) programs offered at The University of Findlay?
The University of Findlay’s MA TESOL Program’s mission is to embrace cultural and linguistic diversity and to educate for a global community and a better tomorrow.
2. How long does a typical MATESOL program take at The University of Findlay? What is the maximum and minimum time of completion?
The MA TESOL program is a 36-credit program with options for TESOL endorsement to those who hold a primary state teaching license from a state of reciprocity with Ohio.
3. What do you think makes YOUR The University of Findlay MATESOL stand out from other similar programs?
Our curriculum is designed to prepare candidates within four content knowledge domains:
- Pedagogic/Practitioner Knowledge
- Curricular/Assessment Knowledge
- Linguistic/Cultural Knowledge
- Scholastic/Professional Advancement
Our small class sizes, personal contact and mentoring of our students within experiential learning opportunities in the surrounding community allow our students to gain teaching experience while pursuing their degree.
4. How important would you say accreditation is when choosing a MATESOL program?
5. There is some debate as to whether or not Online MATESOL degrees are as worthwhile as traditional MATESOL degrees. What steps does The University of Findlay NAME take to ensure that online students are receiving the same education that they'd receive in a classroom?
We do not offer online programming since we feel strongly that teachers tend to teach they way they have been taught, thus on-line education prepares only those who will teach in an on-line format. Since language learning is primarily communicative in nature we support courses with live formats for our students.
6. What are the advantages to earning a MATESOL degree in general?
MA TESOL degrees from The University of Findlay open opportunities to students to teach both domestically and abroad, as well as career opportunities within higher education, NGOs, and further degree advancement.
7. Does The University of Findlay offer job placement for students who graduate in MATESOL?
We do not formally offer job placement, however we often place or recommend students in job opportunities with schools and universities both here and overseas that we have personal relationships with.
8. What type of financial aid packages are available for students in TESOL? Are there any fellowships, grants and scholarships available?
Fellowships, grants and scholarships are available and are competitive in nature.
9. Do you have any advice for students enrolling in a MATESOL program for the first time?
Take advantage of opportunities to build your resume and gain experience through one of our experiential learning opportunities while attending The University of Findlay. Everyone applying for teaching jobs within our field have MA degrees. While studying at The University of Findlay work on making your resume stand out from the crowd through the many service learning opportunities we have created for your enrichment.
10. What do you enjoy most about your position at The University of Findlay?
Interacting and working with the students to help them fulfill their career and educational goals.
For more information on the MATESOL program offered at The The University of Findlay of FINDLAY, visit them online at http://www.findlay.edu/liberalarts/tesol-ma/
That concludes our interview!